I decided to gather some information about a server that was sitting in Morgantown, PA due to a couple of errors we were receiving. I needed to get it pretty quick and so I decided to grab it through SNMP. I had to enable it through the vMA since the host was running ESXi. Here’s how:
- Connect to your vMA instance through Putty, SecureCRT or whatever app you use.
- Add the server: vifp addserver vs-esxi.vsential.com
- Set your target: vifptarget -s vs-esxi.vsential.com
- Configure SNMP Community: vicfg-snmp -c vscomname
- Configure SNMP Trap Host: vicfg-snmp -t TrapHostIP@161/vscomname
- Enable SNMP on the ESXi host: vifcfg-snmp -E
You may need to restart the services on the ESXi host via services.sh on the host. You can show the configuration by typing: vicfg-snmp -s
That’s it…now you can snmpwalk the host from the Trap host you configured earlier by typing: snmpwalk -v2c -cvscomname vs-esxi.vsential.com
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions then please sound off in the comments!